Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tomorrow... maybe

On Tuesday, we thought surgery could be 'tomorrow... maybe' and then Wednesday came and no surgery. So they spent yesterday working to optimize his numbers and monitoring how he was doing and we were told surgery could be 'tomorrow... maybe.' We arrived at the hospital this morning with anticipation. I stood and listened as the team did rounds on our Samuel and the end result was 'tomorrow... maybe.'

The good news is that the 'tomorrow' in this case sounds more definite than it has. That's about as certain as anything can be with our Samuel. Cardiology and surgery came to speak with Chris and I, something they haven't really done since before the infection sprouted last Friday night. The tone around sending him to surgery is more excited and positive and less tentative. That said, we have learned that things change in the blink of an eye and we need to be ready for anything. 

The feeling now is a little like when we were waiting for Samuel to be born. The surgery has to happen. It is an inevitable next step, whether tomorrow or soon after. It is a good thing that he get a chance to show us what he can do with his insides not all mixed up. And yet it is risky, this next phase. He might not come out okay. He might die in the operating room or he might be too sick to recover afterwards and we will lose him then. Or he might rally and show us how strong he is - just like he did in the last operating room he wasn't expected to make it out of.

I cannot tell a lie... I am too scared to be scared. I am in auto-pilot, feeling kind of nothing, not really able to talk. I am exhausted and my body is choosing now to let me know that it might just want a little rest and recovery after having come through a really hard pregnancy and major surgery. So this evening I rest at home with boys all around me - Daniel playing Nintendo next to me, Zachary on the floor drawing pictures of our family of six under a protective rainbow, Jakey running in and out with various pretend weapons, Chris warming up the dinner dropped off by a neighbour. My littlest boy rests in his hospital bed with capable nurses who love him.

I dreamt last night that I was walking through markets and visiting castles in Italy. Things kept breaking and I kept finding myself on my knees picking up pieces of coloured glass, broken tile, bits of wood. I gently collected all I could each time and this kind man kept appearing and saying calmly, "It's okay, we will fix it. We will fix it." Fragility, hope, comfort. We don't exactly need to call Dr. Freud on this one, do we.

Tomorrow morning there will be more blood work before they give the all clear. The cardiologists, surgeons, intensivists and anesthesiologists will all have to meet to agree that he is ready and then surgery would likely take place mid- to late-afternoon. I will make a quick post to the blog when Samuel goes in... tomorrow... maybe... :)



5 comments:

  1. We wait with bated breath for the next update. Much love and prayers continue for all of you. Samuel is a truly beautiful little boy (much like his older brothers), and we hope and pray for the best.

    Love, Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... everything feels so risky and scary. This is so rough on everyone and it sounds like things are also intermixed with intense,pure love and hope. I so sense the hope shining thru. I, like others, are walking in spirit with you (and your adorable family). Thank you for sharing with us. You are not alone.

    Praying lots for Samuel,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ever in our prayers, but we will be praying extra hard tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that........
    XOXOXO
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Corinne... what a journey! Know that our family is with you in thought and prayer. I wish we could do more. God sent you this little angel for a reason. He truly is beautiful! We will remember all of you in our prayers - hugs for you and your other boys, Chris included...Mum & Dad.
    With love,
    Mary Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samuel is so beautiful!

    I will keep all of you in my prayers.

    From Cathy Ayles' Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete