Thursday, February 10, 2011

Moving on

A quick update tonight... Samuel is slated to move from the Neonatal ICU at Foothill's Hospital to the Pediatric ICU at Alberta Children's Hospital tomorrow (Friday) morning. He had a good day on the conventional ventilator today with lots of tweaking to optimize his numbers. The doctors at both hospitals have discussed him at length and all agree that he is ready.

His nurse, Gemma, was extra lovely to us today. She spoke with us about what was happening and what to expect, taking extra time to soothe my anxiety. I do not fear going to Children's Hospital as I know it is a wonderful place with amazing doctors and I already have a trusting connection with Samuel's surgeon there. The move towards surgery is a gift and I am grateful.

But I do feel anxious about leaving the NICU at Foothills. When Dr. Carlos said today that he will no longer be our baby's doctor, I thought, What?! You mean you can't just stay with us *forever?* We have only been there for nine days - but an incredibly intense nine days. These are the people who saved our baby, tended to our baby, loved our baby, and sat by me as I cried about our baby. His little NICU cubicle represents a certain kind of safety and comfort and the people caring for him there seem like angels to me. I want that to follow Samuel where ever he goes.

Gemma also involved Chris and I in Samuel's care this afternoon. We watched her assess him and then got clean his little face and change his bum. These little things mean a lot to us, these acts that we would otherwise have done ourselves at home with our other boys helping and looking on. The staff have always included us in his care as intimately and respectfully as possible, but Samuel was fragile and we've mostly been able to just watch as others responded to his needs. Gemma showed us a kindness and an understanding for our experience as parents that won't be forgotten.

The loving hands of Samuel's Mum and Daddy.

Nurturing touch

Our wee love bug sleeping peacefully and growing strong.

If all goes as planned on Friday morning, our Samuel will spend the next couple of days settling into the PICU and letting the staff there get to know him. We will go to surgery when his doctors determine he is ready. We pray for their guidance and for Samuel's ongoing strength and courage.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Corrine,

    Kathleen just sent me your blog. Samuel is so beautiful! Your strength and grace is amazing. I've just phoned, left a message, and emailed my daughter, as she was transferring to the FMC NICU this week (Jennifer Levy, RN) - I wanted to see if she met you and Samuel.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Susan MacDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Austin Family

    thank you for continuing to post on Samuel's journey and including your thoughts, feelings, ups, downs and life as parents and as a family. The distance between you and me does not seem so far and I thank you. Give a kiss and hug to all four boys (Oh! and mom and dad of course) for me and Michael . . . . U.J.

    ReplyDelete