Friday, February 25, 2011

Recovering

I don't have a blog entry in me tonight - wow, this really is a special kind of tired! - but don't want to leave things hanging either.

Samuel was wheeled out of his ICU room at 4:30 this afternoon and wheeled back in just after 8:00 this evening. The anesthesiologist said he did really well right up until the very end when they needed to bring him back to ICU, then he "threw a bit of a snit" (that's my boy!!) about having to make the transition. Moving him back and settling him into ICU again was a bit stressful for him and consequently for Chris and I as well. Samuel is resting peacefully now.
The surgery itself is breathtaking. Samuel had virtually no diaphragm at all. His stomach, large intestine, small intestine, liver and spleen were all up in his chest. He has one neat incision about 3 inches long just under his left rib. Through that hole, they pulled all those organs from his chest down into his belly, then built him a diaphragm and stitched it to his rib. The surgeon says he actually has a decent lung on that left side where everything was in addition to the right lung which they already know is adequate or he wouldn't have made it this far. His heart is already moving back towards where it should be.
The next few days are, as everyone reminds us, the "touch and go" phase for Samuel. Of particular concern is that his spleen bled a little when they pulled it down into his abdomen. It was squished and had adhered to some other tissue and they are not sure how fully it will recover. They will be monitoring for internal bleeding and there is a chance that he will have to go back to surgery to have his spleen removed. Samuel is already at risk of infection and is so very little; to lose his spleen and all its immune functions would be extremely hard on him at this point.

They were able to fit all of his organs into the abdomen without leaving an opening post-surgery. They did not want the added infection risks of that opening and then the subsequent surgery to close it if he could accommodate the organs now. So they will be watching him for pressure on his abdomen, especially making sure those organs aren't pressing up on his new diaphragm. There is a long list of other things they will watch over the next few days as well but I have neatly sequestered those away in order to minimize freaking out tendencies.

He looks beautiful. It is amazing. I am in awe and filled with gratitude. I say thank you to everyone who comes near him, over and over. I caught myself looking at our surgeon as she walked away tonight. She is this 30-something, brilliant, kind, down-to-earth woman and I caught myself trying to confirm that her feet actually touch the ground. Seriously.

Such an incredible thing just happened to our not-even-7-pound baby boy. Chris and I are here with him at the hospital and will be through the night and then in shifts over the next several days. I keep having these enormous, spontaneous exhalations and thinking "man, how long have I been holding my breath?!" But then I do it again. I don't expect regular exhaling to begin again just yet.

17 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! words can't express how happy and hopefull we are that so much has gone so positively so far. Samuel has strength beyond measure. ♥

    You will all be in our thoughts and prayers.

    Lots of love,
    Rosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting anxiously all evening to hear how surgery went...I'm so happy to hear the surgery went well. Samuel is proving how awesome he is with every hurdle!
    Big Hugs,
    Jana-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad this surgery went well Chris and Corinne... amazing! Slept on pins and needles last night and bleary eyed, sitting at the computer ...it is a little like the feeling a 5 year old can get at Christmas I suppose. Perhaps all the gifts left to open will be as lovely as this for you.
    We love you all.

    Dear Samuel,
    Peekaboo is fun....now lets not do that with the organs anymore okay?
    Love, Auntie Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Samuel - and we are glad to hear you are expressing such spunk! Keep it up.

    Love and strength to you all. Leonie and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome ..... nothing like having breath to remind us of the resiliency of little ones. Samuel ... the miracle babe ... now we will be holding our breath for the next few days . . . hugs and healing energy going to Calgary. Michael and UJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Samuel. I am so proud of you!
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! He sure has the same strength and determination as the rest of your boys...you and Chris make some impressive kids. Everytime I walk the dog I look over the ACH and pray for wee Sammy, you are on my mind and heart always.
    All my love - Aynsley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! For someone who didn't have a blog in her, you certainly did well! So glad to hear everything went as great as it did. Our little family light candle was lit last night and prayers said as this post wasn't up yet when I finally called it a night, hoping and wishing during the night vigil that everything went as well as it could. And it did!

    Give dear sweet Samuel a "high five" for us and tell him way to go! We'll keep praying for him to recover and heal, and for you and Chris to get some much needed rest.

    All our Love,
    Cathryn, David, Cameron & Colin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. So anxious to read all of this Chris and Corinne - and so glad to learn about the surgery. good work Samuel!

    Your family is in our family's thoughts and prayers always.

    Chris B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so full of gratitude that you have such a team of miracle workers caring for precious Samuel.

    Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sweets, stumbled upon this tonight on the radio during our long drive home today... of course I thought of you...cried a little. sighed alot. Prayed again.
    love you

    have a listen if you like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrQ_jSgveo

    LYRICS:

    What Else Can I Do?
    (Karla Anderson)
    (Karla Anderson/Lefty Was Right Music) SOCAN ©2004



    What else can I do
    But bring a blanket for you
    To wrap around your shoulders
    Or put upon your knees
    Try to keep the cold away
    Keep your heart from turning blue
    What else can I do
    But bring a blanket for you

    What else can I do
    But lend my shoulder to you
    To bury your head in
    And let the teardrops roll
    I’ll try to hold your head up high
    When the rest of you is falling through
    What else can I do
    But lend my shoulder to you

    I have tears for you when another tear won’t fall
    When you feel like dying or feel nothing at all
    When there’s nothing left we can do or say
    I’ll pray

    What else can I do
    But share the silence with you
    When every word has been said
    And every piece of ground has been turned
    Nothing makes any sense
    And no answers are coming through
    What else can I do
    But share the silence with you

    I have tears for you when another tear won’t fall
    When you feel like dying or feel nothing at all
    When there’s nothing left that we can do or say
    I’ll pray
    What else can I do
    But bring a blanket for you

    ReplyDelete
  12. The "other" CorinneSaturday, February 26, 2011

    Yay! Yay! YAY!

    Now, everybody: Keep breathing!

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending a tonne-o-love to you all... and wow - Auntie Jenny ! what a beautiful song...
    I know that Samuel must feel all of this love and support... Hugs and love love love love love love to you all - may this night go very well... I can see that rainbow above you all...
    xoxoxoxox j.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've been away for the weekend ;) I cldn't get on-line to read, so I've been anxious and a little stressed for the last three days waiting to read what has been happening with you and yours. I'm so pleased that this surgery has been completed and that S is progressing favourably. I am continuing to hold you, Chris, S and his big brothers in my thoughts, prayers and love. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phew, one more hurdle down. Ok little guy, you keep on fighting the good fight. You are just getting stronger and stronger so you can handle having three older brothers! Love to you Samuel and your Momma and Poppa and brothers and grandparents. We are all so hopeful for your future. Love The Carrs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Overjoyed to hear how successful the surgery went...now praying for strength for little Samuel. Reading your amazing blogs tells me that this little boy is definitely "part Borbridge"!! Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am beaming with great relief and excitement at the grand miracle that unfolded. WOW. This little boy is FAMILY for so many outside his immediate family. I am so glad I am getting to know Samuel thru these blogs. Thank you for keeping us in the loop. It is important.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete