Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Surgery update: Day 4

A quick update on my way to the hospital to greet day 5...

Our Samuel seems to be turning a corner. When Chris and I came into his room yesterday (day 4 post-op), he was opening his eyes to the delight of his nurse and respiratory therapist. When I spoke to him, he tried to turn his head in my direction. He couldn't do it because of the breathing tube - and also maybe because he was still too tired and swollen - but it made me happy to feel like he was coming back to us.

When I did his mouth care, he sucked on the little sponge and opened his mouth for more. I dribbled a few more drops of water into his mouth and he actually sucked and swallowed them. Over the course of the day, the swelling kept improving and I started to see our little baby's face reappear. He's still very swollen but looking more like our Sam again. When I massage his feet and legs now, he opens his eyes for me and wiggles his toes.

The sepsis cultures have all come back negative and so Sam is off of antibiotics. They are weaning medications and ventilator settings. The next steps will be getting the chest drain and breathing tube out. We'll be in ICU a few more days but things are now moving in the right direction. Yay for our Sam!!!

9 comments:

  1. Yay for Sam!!! So glad to see your happy update this morning. Much love and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super-duper sam does it again! what a joy to see glimpses of your beautiful baby coming back to you.
    big love and continued juju.
    lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see his is improving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news on this Happy Valentine's Day! We've been following everyday since surgery for news and continue to keep Sam, his big brothers, and their amazing parents in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts. Our hearts are all a little lighter following his progress and his strength in coming back to you.

    Happy Hearts Day to you all!

    Love and more hugs,

    Cathryn, David, Cameron & Colin
    xo xo xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corinne, I just want to let you know how much I appreciate that you take the time to update this blog so frequently so that we can all be kept abreast on Sam's progress. I am so happy to hear that his situation is improving daily.

    Lisa Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. yippee!!!! thats a great Valentine's Gift . . . we are relieved and happy and continue to send healing energy and special thoughts. love and hugs UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for Sam and his wonderful team of family and doctors and nurses. So happy he is doing well. Yeah!!!!!
    CArol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew! Now I can breathe in - have been holding my breath all week! Hope this is the first in MANY clear steps forward.

    ReplyDelete