Wednesday, February 8, 2012

First birthday photos

Samuel's first birthday was full of emotion. I thought it would be more clear - some grateful celebration and some reflective sadness. But it was more just... raw. A couple of other veteran "NICU moms" told me that it was like this for them every year - this rush of vague vulnerability - and their children are all nine. Still, I was taken aback, maybe because it is a feeling that you can't actually articulate. Like many things to do with parenting, you can't know it until you know it.

And now I prepare for the big surgery day tomorrow. Banana bread and cookies made for the boys at home - check. Laundry done - check. Schedules for school pick-ups and child care made - check. Medical documentation and notes about Sam's feeding and vision care compiled - check. Just have to pack our hospital suitcase and get myself and Sam to the hospital for 6:30 a.m.. And then... wait. If my anxious control-freaky self shows up, I'll take her out to the parking lot and rough her up good. But I don't think she will. She had the crap beaten out of her repeatedly last year and doesn't come around much anymore. :)

So to distract/cheer myself... here are a few photos of Samuel's birthday last week, along with perky explanatory captions. Sam is on lockdown prior to surgery to make sure he doesn't get sick so the celebrations were just our wee family. But it was still lovely. And we can have a party when he is all recovered... and when flu season is over.

My thoughtful friend Lisa brought over 1-shaped cookies and some icing for the boys to decorate birthday cookies. The cookie with the head already bitten off is Jacob's. We will continue working on his delayed gratification skills.

Samuel's first taste of shortbread cookies. With coloured gel-icing. To my nutritional goddess friends: thank you for not judging me.

Birthday icing smear session, round one.

All sugared-up and surrounded by balloons from my thoughtful friend Alison, the boys await further birthday celebrations.
 
Mama's famous chocolate cake made and decorated by the big brothers.

GIVE. ME. THAT.

Sam's eyes rolling back into his head during chocolate consumption... it's genetic.

Happy 1st birthday, Sam-a-rama. Thanks for being my awesome littlest guy and truly amazing spiritual teacher. Love you.

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAMUEL!!! Your Uncle John & Michael LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!! . . . it is quite emotional . . . both reflecting back ... being in the moment ... and looking ahead. Life is SO full. Thoughts, prayers, and healing energy heading your way ... your mommy's way .... your daddy's way and of course those brothers of yours as well. love you all UJ and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to your radio interview RIGHT NOW - amazing.
    Sending lots of LOVE to your family today
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie just turned 3 and I am still struck by the "X years ago today" moments and actually got all choked up earlier today thinking about tomorrow being his surgery anniversary. It doesn't go away, but it does get more bearable. I guess it just becomes part of your norm. I do wish there were a way to explain it to others, but unless you have been there... I have described my emotional/freak out moments as a weird form of PTSD, which makes some sense to people, but I still feel weird putting that label on it.

    Thinking all kinds of positive thoughts and sending many prayers your way. Be strong, but don't be afraid to give in to a 'moment' if you need it. Can't wait to hear how amazingly your little rock star handles this speed bump!

    Much love, Patty D'Angelo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great photo's. He looks like he's got a cheeky sense of humour!
    I saw you at the School today. I was so worried when you said you were at the hospital. I just wanted to let you know that my hopes and prayers are with you, Sam and your family . . .


    Euan's Mom, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and Sam. Hope the surgery went well and both mama and Sam are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad he had a nice birthday and was in good spirits despite needing another repair. I was at Seattle Children's Hospital with Jacob ALL day yesterday (just for follow-ups) and constantly reminded of Little Samuel and his surgery. I was continuously praying that his surgery went well and he will recovery quickly. Prayers for strength for you too, Mama! Looking forward to hearing all about it.


    God bless,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete