Sunday, February 12, 2012

Surgery update: Day 3

Yesterday was rough for Samuel and there was a lot of activity and consulting and tweaking this med and adding that one. Gradually, his room filled with IV poles and pumps - twelve infusions in all - plus the ventilator and monitors. Chris and I asked questions, noted worried expressions, asked more questions, listened in on rounds, held hands. Our big boys spent the afternoon with Aunty Maria and Uncle Gord and we picked them up before bedtime.

By the time we left, things were looking up a little. The ICU team had settled on the hypothesis that Sam being so sick was a response to the trauma of such major surgery. Other possibilities like sepsis are not ruled out yet, but we're pretty sure what we've seen is his little body going into shock and shutting down all non-essential systems. Our bodies are smart this way; when in survival mode with only so many resources, we put all energy into heart and brain function and let go of things like kidneys, profusion, and digestion until the danger has passed.

Even though our little Sam is still very sick, I am handling things better. I totally misplaced my big girl pants on Friday, was too freaked out to even notice they were missing and go looking for them. I'm sure some of this was adjusting to the reality of what recovery might actually look like for him. Some of it was remembering last year, feeling myself back in that terrifying place.

Yesterday afternoon, Sam's nurse said, "Would you like to do his mouth care?" Based on my response, she could have said, "would you like to eat this chocolate cake and take a trip to Mexico?" Yes! Mouth care sounded fabulous! I swabbed out his mouth, dabbed jelly on his lips, and put drops in his eyes to keep them moist when he is too sedated to blink. Then I gave him a sponge bath, which was a little lame since he is immobilized laying on his back and only about 40% of his front is free of tubes, tapes and probes. But I sponged at what I could and then I massaged and exercised his swollen-fat legs.

This whole thing took over an hour. My mental health increased dramatically from the feeling of being able to do something, anything, for my sick Sam. I hope that the touch was as calming and connecting for Samuel as it was for me. I've been repeating the massage and face care every couple of hours since then, glad of living so close to the hospital so that I could come back late in the night to play out our routine a couple more times.

Today is day 3 post-op. Samuel is still completely snowed by meds but he is not paralyzed. He does not open his eyes or move on his own. He is swollen beyond recognition. But the combination of massage and diuretics is getting him peeing at last so his kidneys are starting to work again. His feet are not freezing cold and his lips are not blue so his circulation is returning. His numbers are all sitting stable right where they should be. They've started weaning some of his medications and ventilator settings - small steps - and he is handling these changes fine.

He doesn't look like my Sam-Sam but I know he is in there. I talk to him and sing to him. I massage and I visualize energy and blood flow coming back into his organs, healing his little body. His brothers miss him but they are okay. Chris and I are a bit beaten up but we have our eye on the prize. Fabulous medical care - check! Super strong Samuel - check! Big girl pants - check! We can do this!

6 comments:

  1. I don't know you but I love your personality! I found your blog on my friend Lisa Razza's blog. I keep coming back here. Even on some of your hardest days, you have a sense of humor. I love it!:) I'm glad you found your big girl panties. Looks Like you'll need them.;) Oh, and Sam is ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good to read that Samuel is improving . . . slowly but surely. Prayers are moving towards you. Please remember to take care of yourself too Corinne and Chris..... Samuel is strong . . . his brothers are strong. Take it moment by moment, step by step and the mountain trail will soon become a meadow. Hugs and Kisses UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could send a mountain of hugs down the QE2, they would have arrived by now and crushed y'all with our love and prayers!! One day all this will be a distant memory, but right now you are right in the thick of it all, and it must be hard to feel like you're not drowning. Like you said, keep your eye on the prize and what a prize it will be!! And if you ever forget your big girl panties again, I'll send you the biggest, floweriest, elasticiest pair that I can find!! Loads and loads and loads of love from all of us up north. I may just try to figure out how to have my Ryan ditch school and we may just come down and teach them little boys some big boy shenanigans!!! Traci

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks to hear of Samuel's struggles. I am praying fervently for the little guy and for you. You are so strong and have the right attitude to help Samuel through this. Give him a big Valentine's Day hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh out loud at your comment about being so excited to do something as simple as mouth care! (And then I choked up a bit.) It is something so small and simple, yet to be able to mother your baby means the world at times like this. It is easy to feel so powerless and helpless when is innate to make your child feel comforted and loved. I remember when Jacob was just a day old and ecstatic when the nurse asked if I wanted to help change his linens on his bed. It meant the world to me to be involved in his care. So therapeutic, right? Small steps. It's wonderful that Sam doesn't have to be paralyzed anymore and they are already starting to wean! That will make things easier in the long run. Samuel will pull through this and remember...you don't have to wear your big girl pants EVERY day! ; ) You are a wonderful and loving mom and Sam feels you there every minute!

    Love and Prayers,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "other" CorinneThursday, February 23, 2012

    Those big girls pants are hard to find sometimes. Be gentle with yourself, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete