Friday, February 17, 2012

Remember when I said...

... that things would look a whole lot different in a week's time? Back when things were so bad last Friday and Saturday, I used this as my mantra. And here we are!

Samuel liked being extubated so much that things pretty much flew from there. Milrinone (cardiac med) off. Lasix (diuretic) off. NG feeds increased. Foley catheter out. Femoral line out. Arterial line out. Acute Pain Services called to make a pain management plan and oversee narcotics. Hugged me some ICU folks and off to floors we went. Sam is settled onto Unit 2 in one of his former rooms with his lovely nurse Jenny. He is bathed with clean blankets and peacefully asleep.

This is a long weekend so I requested physiotherapy and dietician consults today to make sure I have what I need to work with him in the next few days. Sam has a half litre of oxygen via nasal cannula, an NG tube, a JP (subcutaneous surgical site) drain and an IV to run his antibiotics and morpine. Oxygen is expected to be off in the next couple of days and I am hoping to start feeding him by mouth soon. And my parents came from Arizona for a few days to help out so I have happy boys at home too. I am one blessed mama.

7 comments:

  1. So fantastic! What a wonderful change from seven days ago...things are looking up!! Yay Super Sam!
    Auntie Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Ain't Life grand . . . and Samuel too .... Oh! and his Mama, Papa, brothers and grandparents!! love and hugs UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you guys!!! AWESOME! What an amazing turn around time! I'm so glad Samuel is handling this all so well. Way to go, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great update....go Samuel!! ~~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read through your updates, I find myself holding my breath. It just returned. Much love to you and all your boys -- big and little. xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. No news is good news right? (haven't heard anything in the last few days)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that Samuel managed all of these feats. I can't wait to see what will happen to our world when Super Sam is a grown up and taking care of business. Makes me smile to think of it. xo Maya

    ReplyDelete