Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sixteen months old: A glutton and a drunkard

I am trying not to keep doing the "a year ago at this time..." thing. Really, live in the moment already. But sometimes it is useful. As I've worried at times about Samuel's eating and growing, I remember that this time last year he was just learning to eat, getting his wonked out insides to digest food and learning to take a bottle by mouth. We were excited if he drank a whole ounce at a time and were putting the rest through his NG tube. It reminds me to counter my "is he eating enough?!" worry with a bit of reverence for the fact that he eats at all.

The other thing that counters my worry is my husband's teasing. I am happy to have him take over feeding Samuel sometimes so that I can have a breather but then I inevitably hover around asking him to reassure me. "Did he eat well?" I ask. And Chris will say, "The boy is a pig. You should see what he ate. He's a glutton and a drunkard!"

Aside from the whole "deadly sins" implications, the idea of Sam as a glutton and a drunkard never fails to amuse me. I instantly have some kind of skid row image of my baby, all 17-some pounds of him propped against a dumpster waving his little bottle of milk and prune juice at passers-by. (Let's hope that's not foreshadowing of any sort.)

About a month ago, Sam's eating habits all shifted. He went from gluttonizing many tablespoons of Greek yogurt to pinching his mouth shut at the appearance of that little yum-and-fat-laden spoon. He shook his head no and used his hand to push our food offerings aside. He wanted only to feed himself. But here's the thing, Sam... cheerios and chunks of watermelon do not a growing baby make.

Sam even needs to feed himself his own bottle. Sigh.

I called Dietician in horror. What could be wrong?! Why wouldn't he eat?! He doesn't have the reserves for a hunger strike! What was I going to do?! "Corinne," lovely Dietician said in her calm, slow, way. "He's a toddler."

Um... what? Oh.

Yea, I guess he is a toddler now. He doesn't toddle yet so I kind of forgot that he's developmentally on track in other ways. A toddler. When did that happen?! I just got him!

This did give me a plan though. I have already done my time at Parents-of-Toddlers Training School. I recognize the itty-bitty bids for control and get creative. I spot calls to power struggle and expertly dance around them. Sam is no match for me. I diversified my food efforts, gave him lots of options to self-feed while still sneaking in the full-fat yogurt mixed with chia seeds.

A couple of weeks after that, Sam shifted again. He became a glutton and a drunkard to the tenth power. The list of foods that he was eating became too long for Dietician to write in her notebook. His fluid intake was just right. We officially called an end to the "NG top-ups as needed."

But he's still not really growing - at least not consistently enough to maintain his own little Sam-line at the bottom of the growth charts. So he is a glutton and a drunkard but I keep worrying anyway.

Bless his team of developmental gurus at the hospital who help give me ideas for our day-to-day and keep reminding me that I am doing a good job. I know that CDH babies use a lot of calories to breathe and so tend to struggle growing. And I am pleased that he's doing well enough that we can manage this without tube feeds now. But still my sense of failure surges when there's something I can't make just right for my kids.

Sam is fabulous otherwise. He is super happy, smiles big, giggles a lot, has various games that he plays with each of us. He started doing this thing where he would look at me and open his mouth. I thought, "He's hungry! My baby is so smart and he's come up with a signal for hungry!" After a couple of days, I realized that the open mouth wasn't linked to wanting to eat. So I thought, "He wants kisses! My baby is so sweet and he's come up with a signal for kisses!" But no. I conceded that he was opening his mouth because he was opening his mouth.

However, I noticed that I make this look of mock astonishment at him all the time and his open mouth was mimicking me. He was doing it to me independently, inviting me into our shared expression. I would do it back again and we would laugh. So not hungry or kisses but maybe "play with me, Mommy." And maybe also, "Can you even believe how astonishingly awesome I am?!"

The words are coming. His most unmistakable word is da-da. So we have this conversation:

Me: Say ma-ma?
Sam: Da-da! Da!
Me: MA-MA. (uses ridiculous amounts of enunciation.)
Sam: Da-da.
Me: Mmaaa-mmaaa.
Sam: Uhn-DAAAA! (yells)
Me: Look it, do you know what you've done to me?! I need to hear Ma-ma!
Sam: Mmmmmm... da-da-da-da-da-da. (whispers)

Okay, I don't really say that last part. Just a momentary channelling of ancestral mother guilting tactics. The thing is, Sam CAN say ma-ma. But he WON'T. And what does that tell you about the child?! Rotten.

Just GUESS what he is saying here. DA-DA-DA-DA.

His most rotten tendencies emerge at night, where he likes to wake up every two hours to be snuggled and rocked. And despite the fact that his parents are nearly dead with exhaustion, we oblige. We've read the books on attachment. And we've failed the sleep class at Parents-of-Toddlers Training School already. Three times now. So on we go.

But look at all this... eating, sleeping, talking... normal stuff. Can't complain about that.

I know. He is going to KILL me. But can you even stand that scrawny sweetness?!

We continue to work on core strength development. Sam can stand but not manage a hands and knees position because of his chest and shoulder strength. He could possibly walk before crawling - I know some typical babies do this. We're trying to keep crawling in the mix though as he needs those muscles.

Sam's vision is something that is on my radar all the time and I've gotten very used to managing light for him, finding the right distance for him, exagerrating movements up close so that he can learn things like how to wave bye-bye. I've also gotten used to interpreting his nystagmus for other people who meet him.

It makes me sad when people notice his eyes shifting and they looked puzzled or pull back from him. I get it, though, really get it. I thought of how I would like to be led to be with a child who responds atypically. I might feel uncertain too but deeply want to know how to connect. And so I tell people, "Sam has a hard time seeing and that's part of what his eyes do to focus. If you move in slowly, you'll find the spot where you know he sees you." I don't do this with everyone; really, strangers at the grocery store can think what they want because I just want my milk and toilet paper. But it's my job to help Sam's community know how to respond to his vision so that he feels supported and included and normal. I want to help him know - and help his brothers too - how to make this not a big deal. It's just Sam.

Given that it is just Sam, it actually really stung to get the letter approving Samuel for the disability tax credit. There it was in black-and-white, the government acknowledging our child as having a permanent visual impairment, as being "disabled." But as one of my friend's pointed out, we who know what Sam has been through know that he is "super-abled." They must just not have a tax credit for that.

Thanks for checking in on our Super-Sam. I've not much time for blogging lately because, in addition to my client work on Saturdays, I am teaching a spring course for the University. My time is pretty spoken for (as if it wasn't already before). But this blog is still important to me. Your presence and comments have been a lifeline for me. Thank you.


[Awesomely beautiful photos by Mike Drew.]

11 comments:

  1. "There must be no tax credit for super abled" is just about the best thing I've heard, probably ever. :)

    Glad to see a post. Love the pics and the conversation script! Not too bad for a super busy mom! In fact, I think Sam inherits his super abilities from his mom-of-four, wife, professor, psychologist, blogger over-achieving wonder-mom! :)

    Big, BIG hugs to you both!

    MWG :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear about all that normal stuff and no matter what those papers say, he is ABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Corinne - thanks for the update! I think the tax credit is also for Sam's super-cuteness - that boy has a smile a mile wide! I think the tax credit is also for his super-abled mom. I know your life isn't without effort but you do a good job making it seem that way.

    LZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie! I am so glad to hear he is eating so well, and doing so well. My Dakota really struggled with eating as well. She is still a scrawny little thing, but she is healthy so that is what matters. Many prayers for continued good health and development!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great update on Sam. It's great to hear he on the up with feeds and I hope you can find a moment to calm your worries. Sam is doing great because of you and your parenting. The last thing you are is a failure in any small part!

    Wish you the best with all your new activities and I look forward to your next blog.

    Love,
    Dorothy and Linc

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last picture is the definition of cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. . . . we are two of many ardent Sam fans ...... its great to know that the "super-able" Sam, his mom, dad and brothers are doing well. hugs love UJ and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Super-abled"...Love that! What a doll! He is too cute for words! A toddler already! I can imagine time has felt like it has stood still in some ways, and it's crazy to think he is already a toddler. I know for me, having missed so much baby time and with Jacob's gross motor/eating delays, that I forget that he is going on 8 months old and not 4 or 5 months (the amount of time he's been home.) I had to laugh about your feeding hovering and the persistent "did he eat well" question. We are so alike. You must have been doing quite the happy dance when you got to take that feeding tube out for the last time! Woo hoo! How awesome!

    You always knew your son was strong-willed (and thank God for that!) Does it surprise you he's going to try to push some of your buttons? :) You'll be hearing that "mama" soon!

    Glad to hear everything is going so well.

    Hugs,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so crazy about this little guy and I love reading your posts. Thanks for making me smile and letting me peak into your incredible life with 4 boys and Chris. How lucky you all are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My oh my, The Corinne Family Rocks in all shapes and forms. Go Chris with his sense of humour and keeping you as grounded as possible. And, you my dear friend, keeping going being open and honest about your journey of mothering to a big family including one super-able toddler. Loved your lightbulb moment about the amazing, ever so adorable Samuel is a typical toddler. Amen! I love that he is going thru the NORMAL developmental stages with great passion and focus. I liked reading how to join Samuel so it is easy for him to pick up energy and see us. Your tips are valuable. Gosh.. just 16 months ago you were only counting the seconds and now you can imagine Samuel well into the future! I am smiling as I write this. I am so happy for you, your kids and Chris. KEEPING IT GOING. IT IS WORKING.

    THREE CHEERS!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete