Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THREE MONTHS (plus three days) OLD!

Our wee Samuel is three months old!


The ICU planned a special celebration for Samuel's three month birthday on Sunday... they let us take him outside! He was put on a portable sat/ekg monitor and hooked to a big portable oxygen tank. We pushed his IV pole along with us. Chris and I were joined by Nana, Boppa, and our three big boys on Samuel's first "journey." Our lovely nurse Kat came along to make sure everything went alright. We were quite the entourage as I held my baby in my arms and walked him out into the sunshine and fresh air for the first time ever.

"Um... how exactly does a bath and fresh blankets constitute a birthday present for ME?!"
Mommy's super star OUTSIDE the hospital. Yay!

Mommy and Daddy snuggling Samuel in the sunlight.

Daddy introduces Samuel to our beloved mountains in the distance.

Our family (plus IV pole and oxygen).
Thank you ICU angels, especially Kat, for this moment.

On Monday morning I arrived in anticipation of our transfer to the floors. There was a bed for us and everyone agreed it was time for Samuel to take this step. My friend Alison arrived just in time to cuddle Samuel while I packed up his room. His ICU nurse Eva did report with his Unit nurse. Porters were called. Good-byes were said. Samuel and all his stuff were wheeled through the back hallways and up to Unit 2.

Our new digs.

View of Canada Olympic Park and the Rockies from our hospital room.

Everyone told me that this would be a tough transition and they were right. Our new room is lovely and I know we will find our angels among the new crew of nurses. I miss the ICU. I miss that every face was familiar, that I knew all the routines, that there was always someone loving my baby when I couldn't be there. This morning I walked into the hospital, went up the staircase and down the long hallway to Unit 2. For the first time in this whole experience, I felt like having a monstrous temper tantrum. I felt like stomping my feet and yelling, "give me my baby! I wanna go home!"

I did not do this. I decided that Hospital Security had enough to do and I restrained myself. Samuel was being cuddled by a volunteer and then his nurse came in and was sweet and motherly to me and to him. And I instantly went back to being in the moment, one foot in front of the other, appreciation for this day and for each milestone.

Tuesday's milestone was Jakey holding Samuel for the first time. I know I have joked about Jakey's dastardly intentions towards the child who relieved him of his "baby of the family" title. But Jakey was beyond excited to hold his brother and very sweet with him. His little buddy Felix had come to visit and Jakey went into proud big brother mode, showing off this new tiny member of our family.

Jakey and Samuel. Yea, Samuel looks a little freaked out. But he's a baby. We needn't read into his expression too much. (So says the woman who lead a caption contest a few weeks ago.)

We are tackling the feeding challenges now. Samuel is tolerating his full NG feeds plus canola oil three times a day to boost his caloric intake. He is taking a soother and still has a suck and swallow reflex that we can build on for oral feeding. He will be weighed tomorrow and we just hope that he is starting to gain weight. We expect to be in the hospital with him for another two months but maybe a little less if he can prove that his guts are working.

"Give me my Mommy! I wanna go home!" (Okay. He's actually yawning, not yelling.)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! new digs . . . and a trip outside?? what is this world coming to!!! next thing you know . . . it will be a trip to home!! and we are totally looking forward to that journey . . . and so is Samuel, even if he doesn't know it yet . . . love and hugs UJ and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you got to take him outside...& may that last picture, with his beautiful little face free of the tubes, be a sign of more good things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made my day sharing Samuel's first adventure outside the hospital. This is HUGE. Gosh, I am so excited that Samuel keeps having lots of firsts! LOVE IT.

    Thank you!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fabulous!! Going outside must have felt so wonderful!! So great to see all his milestones!
    xoxo Barb N xoxo

    ReplyDelete