Sunday, May 29, 2011

Completely uneventful weekend

A pretty unremarkable couple of days. Did some work on my course. Cleaned the house. Spent lots of time at the hospital. Samuel gained some weight and did some great bottle feeding. He had a bath and slept. Oh yea, and he came home to visit for the first time ever.

Getting ready to leave the hospital. Samuel's knees are not this grotesquely large. It's just a perspective issue.

We timed our home visit for the two hours that Samuel has between feeds so that we didn't have to take a feeding pump with us. I gave Samuel his bottle and then he slept in my arms while he got the rest of his feed topped up via NG. Then we packed a few supplies (blankets, diapers... everything is in Samuel's hospital room until he comes home for real), hooked up the portable oxygen tank and sat monitor, and buckled Samuel into a car seat for the first time ever.

Walking out of the hospital was exciting for all of us. Samuel was wide awake and looking around. Jakey said to him, "There are a million worlds out here, Sam. You have to trust me on that one." Zachary and Daniel took turns with the all important task of pulling the oxygen tank at just the right speed and distance from the baby so that nothing gets tangled up or disconnected. Chris, despite being a father of four, nervously regressed into a man who appeared to have never held a baby. Just like when we brought our other babies home from hospital, he drove while I sat in the back guarding baby from wayward rays of sunshine and potential sabretooth tiger attacks.

Heading down the hallway in the Children's Hospital.
Riding in the van... Samuel's only other trip in a vehicle was the transport ambulance on the trip from NICU to PICU when he was 10 days old.
Hey, I like it here... at home.

"Here I am in my bed... at home... with my very cute sneakers. But please could someone tell me what is that growing out of my head?!" (Just kidding Uncle John and Michael. Thanks for the sweet bear.)

At home, we changed a diaper (Samuel's) and hung out on the bed in his new room (mine and Chris'). We went for a slow walk around the block with the boys again acting as capable oxygen pullers and a few of our neighbours came out to admire Super Sam. We only had two hours from start to finish so there was just time for Samuel to lay in his new bed and for us to take a few photos, then we piled into the van to take him back to the hospital.

It was glorious. I had my family around me. Samuel did great but he was exhausted afterwards. I bundled him all up in his bed and he was totally zonked. Chris called to check on him later that night and we were told that he slept through his next feeding, his evening medications and shot, and the feeding after that. Big steps. Little baby.

Me and my babe... at home.
Our family... at home. (Did I mention we are at home?)
All tuckered out.

12 comments:

  1. That is wonderful new Corinne! What an amazing little man. Welcome Home little Samuel, even if just for 2 hours. The picture of you and your family all at home is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, reading this really gets my week of to a fantastic start. This is so wonderful to hear. It was nice of the weather to cooperate as well!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me a little giddy to read about I must say, you are so tricky with your headings! I love Chris's face in thehallway picture, it is as if he can't fathom that security is not tackling him. I'm also glad to hear that I am not the only one who sleeps after being at your house!

    Aynsley

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you look like you're trying to smother him with his hat whilst he was there?! Just joking... I'm so pleased it went well :D Here's to 48 or so ;)

    --
    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I FINALLY found this blog and am totally hooked! I can't believe you had him at home this weekend. Well, actually, I can. He's just amazing like that! A big hug all around,

    Kirsty G

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Maria, I do look like I was smothering him there. I'm really not. It was that o a picture where you can see him but Chris and I look demented. I figure you already have lots of cute pics of Sam. :)

    @ Kirsty, aka Dr. Grabowska one of Sam's angels! Nice to have connected with you. Hugs back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "other" CorinneTuesday, May 31, 2011

    Corinne - Love the family photo, but really: PHOTOSHOP! I'll do it for you if you send me the two pix... Seriously giddy about this; made my day 1000X better (and that's saying a lot, since I just reported a fraud incident to the police here). I knew I could count on Samuel for a pick-me-up. Thanks! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. and how did we miss this post?!! . . . . awesome post . . . adorable pictures . . . and a car ride too!! Life is good. Samuel....the bear is for snuggling (when Mom isn't or Dad or Daniel or Zachary or Jacob or Nana ..... ) enjoy!
    love and hugs UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those ARE some cute sneakers!
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel my hope and joy grow for you all! What an incredible thing! I logged in today from Hungary... i have just woken from dreaming of you ...I talked to Samuel in this dream... he was so beautiful and talked with his eyes... turns out my dreams came true! beautiful pictures-
    I have that feeling in my gut- the one that comes on christmas morning at the age of six and its hardly containable...like a freight train emerging from your bellybutton....Happy for you. prayers for you. love for you.
    xoxoxox Auntie Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, Love, LOVE!!
    Mjam :)

    ReplyDelete