Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More infection

Samuel had a really good few days last week. He seemed to be rallying well beyond what we could have expected and the sedation wean and ventilator weans were slowly moving in the right direction. He went back on drip feeds on Friday to see if his belly was ready to try again. There had been no indication that he'd had an infection after his night of vomiting and it seemed like he was clear. The doctors were so pleased with how he was doing, even though we all knew that things needed to move slowly for him. I had a good talk with Dr. Cathy Ross where she answered my many questions and offered me reassurance and some mama-nurturance to boot. 

On Thursday I got to hold him and he spent four glorious hours in my arms. He was peacefully awake for about a half hour of that time and we got to coo and gaze at each other. (Okay, it was me cooing, but he would coo back if not for that darn breathing tube, I'm sure of it.) He was so calm during this time and I drank it in with every cell. I could feel the connection to my baby even though I held him still in one position so that his breathing tube was stable, had to call a respiratory therapist if I so much as needed to shift my weight. I knew that there would be hiccups, that there are several months of hospital time before he might come home. But I could feel the relief of knowing that he was healing, that the months of waiting for him to die were most likely behind us now.

Since then, Samuel has been increasingly unstable. It started out as just some extra touchiness upon handling, desatting (dropping oxygen saturation levels) and bradycardias (dropping heart rate). Since his sedation had been weaned back, it was assumed he was just a little more agitated. He got some Tylenol or a bolus of extra sedation if he seemed too uncomfortable or if his number just wouldn't return to normal. They started another pain medication that has less of a dependency effect to help him wean off the hard core drugs and still be comfortable.

For the first time, I saw my baby not just make his grumpy face but really, earnestly, cry. He doesn't make noise because of the breathing tube but his face is in an all-out wail and he wriggles in distress. I try comforting him with my voice or touch but nothing works. My whole body begs to pick him up, cuddle and rock him, nurse him. He gets extra oxygen, extra sedation, whatever they can do to calm him. Sometimes these periods would last fifteen minutes before he would settle, the whole time with monitors beeping off as his numbers dropped. Now these periods are lasting an hour or more.

There are signs of intestinal inflammation and they want to make sure that's not an infection. Yesterday, they took Samuel off of his drip feeds again and started anti-biotics. Today I came in and found an infection alert on his door. His cultures came back positive for another staph infection in his lungs. We need to gown and mask to go in his room, in addition to the usual hand-washing. We are waiting for more specific information about what his little body is fighting but some generalized treatment has already been started.

It takes little for my fear to surge. I sit in his room and inhale, then exhale. I am never without my prayer beads as they are so comforting to me but I forgot them today. I remind myself that I am connected without them. It's okay. In the moment. Ride the wave. Breathe.

[Sorry I have not updated here more. Chris went back to work last week and it has been a bit overwhelming. I will have photos and such to share when I am back on my home computer instead of at the hospital patient computer.]

9 comments:

  1. Hugs to you all xo Barb N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love and prayers, the offer is always open to take your boys, so that you and Chris can have your evenings together with little Samuel. My boys would love another "nerf gun night" with your boys! (I will hide out in the bedroom :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn staph infection, ugh. so sorry he's having to fight that!! & even harder for you to be gowned & gloved when you're with him. sending hugs to you all, & i hope the infection is swiftly gone & you're holding him again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise" - Oscar Wilde

    You can do this Corinne! We send our love and prayers.

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samuel keeps fighting so hard, but I sure wish he'd get a little respite from having to do so much fighting so he didn't have to divert anything away from just healing!

    May all of the prayers, Samuel's incredible medical team and his tremendous fortitude continue to propel him forward...with lots less incident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. {{{hugs}}} C & S. Hoping and praying this infection, too, passes quickly. You're all in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  7. breath . . . life . . . love . . . hopes . . . dreams . . . in - out - pause . . . and Samuel continues his journey with us. Thanks for letting us know about this development. We are waiting along side you.
    love UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ride the waves ... gosh they haven't stopped. It is so hard, coping one minute at a time sometimes, eh.

    You and Sam are one - in each other's cells. So touching. A huge mommy gift you are giving Sam.

    You and Chris are not riding these waves alone. Sam has a huge following - so many prayers and healing energy are being directed to him --> also to you as well as your family.

    Dear Corinne: You are so deeply loved and admired. There is nothing else you can be doing for Sam. It is so evident you are doing everything humanly possible for dear, adorable Sam.

    Sending constant streams of healing light to your youngest son and to everyone else connected to your amazing Sam.

    I hope you are able to sleep deep when you get to rest.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete