Monday, June 20, 2011

A feel good kind of day

Some good news came our way today!

Samuel had the repeat of his audiology exam this morning first thing. When this test was first done in May, it showed that Samuel's right ear had mild to moderate hearing loss and that the left one was worse. The readings at that test were not very clear and the audiologist was not aware that Samuel spent his first two months intubated, heavily sedated, and on minimal stimulation. It was recommended that we repeat the test once he'd had a chance to catch up developmentally. So this morning Samuel made it through the re-test of his right ear and everything came back normal. Woo hoo! He can hear in at least one of them cute little ears! 

I went back to the unit, picked up Jakey from the play room, fed Samuel again, met with the respirology resident, the occupational therapist, and the pediatrician. I went downstairs to get some lunch for Jacob and I, then dashed off to take Jacob to June Bugs (his week long summer camp), and then went back to the hospital to wait for the ultrasound department to call us down. Today was the day for imaging the blood clot that Samuel developed in his femoral artery back in March.

I watched his nurse give him the injection of his anti-coagulant this morning - his 188th one - and said a little prayer that it would be his last. All through the ultrasound, I kept trying to see something that would tell me it was okay. I'd talked myself into not knowing until tomorrow given that it was already late afternoon. But then there was our hematologist and she was all smiles. The blood clot was resolved enough that they could stop the twice daily injections of blood thinners. No more pokes for my wee babe!

Tomorrow Samuel has an echocardiogram as cardiology moved the test up to make sure we have time to tweak medications before going home. There will be meetings with occupational therapy and physiotherapy and the home care nurse to make sure we have a plan. Samuel has an appointment with ophthalmology on Thursday to figure out what's up with his wonky eyes and then audiology on Friday to test his left ear. This weekend they will do an oxygen test to show that he does require home oxygen. We will also do an overnight home pass to make sure that I can handle all his feeds and meds.

I am so ready to bring my baby home. Leaving him tonight was one of the hardest in a long while. He was sweetly playing in his crib, batting and kicking the toys overhead and making his new little cooing sounds. His hair was sticking up all blond and fuzzy on top and he was just my sweet, well little man. I am tired of saying goodbye to him and trusting his care to these amazing, lovely people who are not his mama. I told the nurse this and she said that means it's time. It's time to move on from the hospital life that has been my baby's blessed beginning. It's time to have our family together. It's time to go home.

4 comments:

  1. HOME! SWEET! HOME! Aahhh, such sweet words... We're crossing our fingers, wishing that all other tests go as smoothly and positively as today... love UJ & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favourite post to date - that your little man is so close to coming home to his amazing family! We have our fingers (and toes, and eyes, and legs, and arms, and......well - you get the picture) crossed too that wee Sam gets and A+ on the rest of his tests!

    Much love from Traci and fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Corinne - how exciting! I mean, stand still and scream exciting!!! Phew. Don't forget to breathe. Go well through the rest of those tests Sam.

    --
    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam1
    Ace them tests just like you've ace' all
    the others they've sprung on you.

    Uncle OF

    ReplyDelete